Saturday, May 23, 2009

Riots in town

On Friday, I was going to embark on my first real drive into "town"- a much noisier, crowded, busy place than the part of Mombasa I usually drive in. I was going to take our friends, the Browns, to a fast food place with a play area for our kids.

We got turned back by all the commercial vehicles, and had to deviate into other parts of town, some roads resembling alleys more than actual streets. Thankfully, Justin had a better sense of direction than I, and we headed home after we received a call from Josh, saying to come home because there was fighting in town.

Apparently the police were trying to get rid of the hawkers, who decided to fight back, and cars were being burned. You could see the smoke from our house. Thankfully, God paved the way, and we got home without a problem.

4 comments:

  1. Whoa...that's not good. Glad you're safe! PTL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are safe. I'm praying for protection on your family today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Maggie. So thankful for God's protection too. And so happy to have come across your blog tonight! You are missed.

    ReplyDelete